Wednesday, August 30, 2006

This is the first verse

Nothing much here lately. Just to stop the grass growing, here's another 25-first-lines thing: song titles and artists in comments, please. This one's a bit different, as you'll see. Some more obscure than others; there are a couple I'd be particularly pleased for somebody to get, and one which would probably earn you a pint (it's from a privately-produced CD by a friend of mine). (A couple of bona fide Chart Hits, too.)

Update 4/9/06 An email from Tina bags the last easy ones, plus a couple of difficult ones. (Hi Tina!) The rest are all a bit on the obscure side, I'd say - not that I'd mind being proved wrong. Have at it.

Update 13/9/06 All remaining beans spilled.

  1. A certain kind of love, I’d say
    - Soft Machine (Rob)
  2. A long time ago, we used to be friends
    - Dandy Warhols (Tina)
  3. Bonfires in forests, lamplights in houses, all obscured
    - Graham Coxon (Tina)
  4. By a waterfall, I’m calling you
    - the Bonzo Dog Band (Rob)
  5. Colin Zeal knows the value of mass appeal
    - Blur (Tina)
  6. For years unspotted, Henri Dupont wheeled his barrow in Marseilles
    - Barry Booth (lyrics by Terry Jones)
  7. Give me your love and I’ll give you the perfect lovesong
    - the Divine Comedy (John)
  8. I can see clearly now the rain has gone
    - Jimmy Ruffin (JJ)
  9. I don’t know what to do with my life, should I give it up and make a new start?
    - Buzzcocks (Jamie)
  10. I often dream of trains when I’m alone
    - Robyn Hitchcock (Tina)
  11. I stand by the building in the pouring rain
    - the Mekons
  12. Inside of me, take as much as you can find of me
    - David McComb
  13. It’s happened before, most likely it will happen again
    - Ed Kuepper
  14. Jacqueline was seventeen, working on a desk
    - Franz Ferdinand (Biscit)
  15. Loving you is easy 'cause you’re beautiful
    - the Charlatans (Syd)
  16. Mother Mary and the morning wonder, take me home
    - the Earlies
  17. Nothing you could say could tear me away from my guy
    - Mary Wells (and subsequently Aretha Franklin, among others) - Alex
  18. Put your hands on the wheel, let the Golden Age begin
    - Beck (Justin)
  19. Red rain is falling down
    - Peter Gabriel (JJ)
  20. Señor, Señor, can you tell me where we’re heading?
    - Bob Dylan (Rob)
  21. Sometimes love is friendly
    - Hilary Bichovski
  22. This time we almost made the pieces fit, didn’t we girl?
    - Jimmy Webb (Brian)
  23. Waste of time - it’s all a waste
    - Peter Blegvad
  24. Well, it seems like the funky days are back again
    - Cornershop (Rob)
  25. You rolled into town like an unscheduled train
  26. - Nothing Painted Blue

17 Comments:

Blogger Simon said...

14 Jaqueline by Franz Ferdinand.

31/8/06 16:19  
Blogger J.J said...

8 is 'I can see clearly now' by Jimmy Cliff and others.
14 'Loving You' by Minnie Ripperton.
19 'Red Rain' by Peter Gabriel.

It does help when the title is in the first line but I can still only get three!

31/8/06 21:35  
Blogger Phil said...

I'm going to be awkward and insist that 14 was not in fact 'Loving You' by Minnie Ripperton (or 'A huge ever-growing...' by the Orb), although it clearly could have been. There's actually another, unrelated song which (a) begins with those words and (b) has the title in the first line. (Curious how much easier that doesn't make it, innit?)

1/9/06 00:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

9 - the Buzzcocks - I don't know whatto do with my life. From way back when...

1/9/06 02:13  
Blogger Rob said...

#1 Soft Machine: "A Certain Kind"
#4 Bonzo Dog Band "By A Waterfall"
#24 Cornershop: "Funky Days Are Back Again"

I recognise a couple of others but not sure of the artists.

1/9/06 08:59  
Blogger John A said...

#7 Divine Comedy.

1/9/06 10:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

18. The Golden Age - Beck

1/9/06 13:40  
Blogger Rob Jubb said...

This is really embarrassing, but 14 is, I think, You're Beautiful by James fucking Blunt. It'll be even worse if it turns out not to be.

1/9/06 16:08  
Blogger Phil said...

Rob S. - yep. The first line of the Cornershop song actually goes "...the funky days, they're back again", but I had to use it.

John - you can have that, although I'll be insisting on titles from now on. (It could have been "Perfect", or "Give me your love", or, er... "Love, and I'll give you"...)

Rob J. - certainly not. My record collection is entirely Bluntless.

1/9/06 19:45  
Blogger Alex said...

Oh, for Christ's sake. 17 is Mary Wells, "My Guy".

3/9/06 12:27  
Blogger Paul E. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4/9/06 10:56  
Blogger Paul E. said...

Just seen your Minnie Ripperton ruling.

I thought it was a bit too obvious to have lasted this long.

4/9/06 10:58  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

22: "Didn't We?"
Words & Music by Jim Webb
Recorded by Richard Harris, 1967
http://www.theguitarguy.com/didntwe.htm

It's a very attractive song. Worth that pint?

Best
Brian
http://www.barder.com/ephems/

4/9/06 12:45  
Blogger Phil said...

Brian - you get the pint (or at least a rather ethereal IOU), but not so much for obscurity-spotting as for good taste. Jimmy Webb is a genius.

Five of the remaining ten are singer-songwriters (and one of them is the greatest s.-s. of all), four are bands and one is neither. Two of the singer-songwriters are Australian, and one is dead. Three of the bands are English. Number 6 has a connection with number 4. The vet does not live next door to the owner of the zebra.

4/9/06 13:50  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#15 'Loving You Is Easy' by The Charlatans?

4/9/06 15:03  
Blogger Phil said...

Syd - hurrah!

4/9/06 19:22  
Blogger Rob said...

Well, with your big hint there was obviously a Dylan, so I Googled his name along with the one I thought it must be and got "Senor (Tales of Yankee Power)". As far as I know I've never heard anything from Street Legal, but then I sort of lost interest between Blood On The Tracks and Time Out Of Mind."

Your other hints don't help me enough to allow ethical Googling, alas.

4/9/06 21:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home