Friday, May 05, 2006

I get so tired of my room

[Updated 19th May - all is revealed.]

Jim: I decide to go hunting for a musical blog meme.

Cheers, Jim - don't mind if I do.

Step 1: Put your media-player on random play.
Step 2: Write down the first line from the first 20 songs that play.
Step 3: Let everyone guess what song the lines come from.
Step 4: Cross out the songs when someone guesses correctly.

Here goes. Like Jim, I've excluded instrumentals and songs with the title in the first line; I've also excluded tracks I didn't recognise myself and, arbitrarily, a version of "Auld Lang Syne". I haven't ripped very many CDs, so the list that follows is biased towards certain categories of music - primarily a) things I really like and b) things from freebie CDs that I wanted to throw away. (And no, of course I'm not saying which is which.)

  1. I saw you in your wetsuit, you were watching from the shower
    - Orange Juice, "Salmon fishing in New York"

  2. Belly up in a sea of love
    - Doves, "Rise" (Paulie)

  3. An address to the golden door
    - the Shins, "So say I"

  4. I come home in the morning light
    - Cyndi Lauper, "Girls just wanna have fun" (Paulie)

  5. I saw a boy’s t-shirt today
    - the Earlies, "One of us is dead"

  6. Put in your pocket for a rainy day, sing your song and you know you’re wrong now
    - the Beta Band, "the House Song" (Rob)

  7. Clouds so swift, rain won’t lift
    - Bob Dylan, "You ain't going nowhere" (Jim)

  8. All I wanted was your time
    - Espers (or Durutti Column), "Tomorrow"

  9. One-way system, smooth and commendable
    - Half Man Half Biscuit, "For what is Chatteris" (Jim)

  10. Well, she’s all you’d ever want
    - Tom Jones, "She's a lady"

  11. You say that your love was just for me now
    - Toots and the Maytals, "True love is hard to find"

  12. I’m just a common-or-garden guy
    - Peter Blegvad, "Magritte"

  13. Pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street
    - Joe Jackson, "Is she really going out with him?" (Paulie)

  14. Hey, you - you wouldn’t make a phone call if it didn’t serve you
    - Hamell on Trial, "Go fuck yourself"

  15. We pulled up with three miles to go
    - James Yorkston and the Athletes, "Banjo #2"

  16. Waiting for the break of day
    - Chicago, "25 or 6 to 4"

  17. Practice doesn’t make perfect when you’re interbreeding
    - Blur, "Villa Rosie" (Justin)

  18. I could be pouring my heart out, I still don't think that you'd hear me
    - King Creosote, "Marguerita Red"

  19. The lunch bell rang at one o’clock sharp
    - Barry Booth, "The hottest day of the year"

  20. Oh, the towering feeling
    - Vic Damone (and doubtless others), "The street where you live" (Larry)

12 Comments:

Blogger Paul E. said...

I'll dibs the easy ones.

4: 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' - Cindi Lauper

13: Joe Jackson - 'Is She Really Going Out With Him?'

A couple of them have a touch of the Robyn Hichcocks about them, but I can't put my finger on the songs.

5/5/06 15:09  
Blogger Phil said...

Good call, but there isn't actually any Robyn Hitchcock in there. (I've got a lot of his stuff on vinyl, which isn't much good for this type of thing.)

I'm tempted to claim that 4. was actually an obscure track by Huggy Bear or the Raincoats, but no. Deeply embarrassing.

5/5/06 16:02  
Blogger Rob Jubb said...

6 is the Beta Band, off the 3 EPs, but I don't remember which song.

5/5/06 17:23  
Blogger Phil said...

Rob - yep, it's "The house song" (so called because they wanted to do a house song, as in acid, Chicago etc; you can kind of see what they were thinking if you listen to the bassline).

5/5/06 18:59  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

#7 is "You ain't going nowhere" by Bob Dylan, but that's the only one I know for sure. #9 is Half Man Half Biscuit, but I'm not sure which song.

5/5/06 20:24  
Blogger Phil said...

9 is "For what is Chatteris", a song which would be perfect in all respects if it was just a bit less catchy (I hate earworms). Google the lyrics, they're great.

5/5/06 22:21  
Blogger Larry Teabag said...

Well 20 is a line from "On the street where you live" from My Fair Lady (so by Lerner and Loewe). But I don't think it's the first line, so I'm probably wrong.

8/5/06 17:10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

17 is Villa Rosie by Blur.

8/5/06 21:06  
Blogger Paul E. said...

I was sure that I knew No 2, but it's taken me days to place it. It is by The Doves.

Because I can hum the song, but don't know the title (and don't have the CD to hand) I've cheated and Googled it. It's called 'Rise'

And I wouldn't be that embarrased about being caught in possession of a Cindi Lauper track. They are often above-average pop songs IMHO.

I attempted (unsuccessfully) to sow a meme a while ago asking people for cover versions that they'd like to hear.

Here:
http://nevertrustahippy.blogspot.com/2005/08/cover-version-requests.html

I was considering putting either a couple of Cindi tunes in as well. I had The Pogues (before Shane's voice had deteriorated) in mind for True Colours.

WDYT?

9/5/06 13:47  
Blogger Rob Jubb said...

I can honestly say that I didn't know any of those.

20/5/06 10:58  
Blogger Phil said...

Rob - I discovered I did know two of yours after googling, which was embarrassing ("Motorcade" and... one other).

20/5/06 11:45  
Blogger Rob Jubb said...

I've put anyone who was still waiting out of their misery, BTW.

20/5/06 17:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home